Sunday, August 16, 2009

Lanvins and a smile at the Barney's sale



I've had a love/hate relationship with the Barney's warehouse sale because I used to end up spending boatloads of money for items that don't quite fit right, but are a must buy because they are so heavily marked down. Case in point: A gorgeous Zac Posen purple silk dress in a size 6, that was marked down from $2000 to $400 something. I took it to my tailor, and he was like, "Honey, we'd basically need to deconstruct and re-sew this entire dress for it to fit you." Disaster! (I sold it to a wonderful lady on craigslist a couple months later, and it fit her like a glove, so it all worked out for the best.)

But, it hasn't all been a bust. Throughout the years, I've found some great things as well: Black patent platform wedges, the fabulous pink work purse, a Marc Jacobs ruched dress, and a Katayone Adeli pinstripe jacket.

On Saturday, I went with Jason to check out the new digs at the LA Convention Center. Dear Barney's: Yeah, about moving to the Convention Center? Notsomuch. I would like it very much if you would go back to the hangar. xoxo, Jess. Going to the Convention Center forces you to deal with downtown traffic and those miserable one way streets. It also forces you to PAY $12 FOR PARKING. I know some people (ahem, Jase) who used to pop in to the warehouse sale on an almost daily basis before or after work when it was in Santa Monica - but the parking and downtown situation make that nearly impossible to do this year. The only good thing about the Convention Center was that there are actual restrooms there instead of the port-a-potties that used to line the outside of the hangar. I wonder how the move worked out for Barney's? (There seemed to be a lot of people there, but it didn't feel as crowded as usual.)

Anyway, I made a bee-line toward the shoes, which was probably my downfall right there. Because as I was scouring the size 5 rack (my small feet are the bane of my existence), I found not one, not two, but THREE fabulous shoes. The Lanvins, a pair of electric blue Louboutin statement shoes, and black, suede, ankle fringed Manolos. Each priced in the $200 - $400 range, and marked down from close to one thousand dollars. Obviously, I could not get all three (I love shoes, but they are not my life). (As a side note, I remember when the shoes at the warehouse sale were in the $100 range. Why are shoes so expensive now??)

I tried on the Louboutins (which were a little big, but whatever):



And I tried on the Lanvins:





I loved them both, but I couldn't buy them both (even I am not that ridiculous). So, after walking around with both for an hour, I went with the Lanvins, because I would definitely get more use out of them. Plus, the box is so pretty. But, I told the shoe guy that I may come back next weekend and if the Louboutins are still there and marked down even more, I would buy them. He said, "You seem like a nice person, so I hope that happens for you." I don't know if I'll really be back next weekend, but I was reminded that a little bit of "niceness" to others - in the middle of the shopping frenzy - is worth more than all the Lanvins and Louboutins you can buy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home