Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Adventures with quinoa pasta

So I don't know if you recall from my previous post about adding carbs slowing but surely back into my diet even though they are the devil... a delicious devil. But I as mentioned, I had been wanting to experiment with quinoa since it's "good for you" and not as carby as regular pasta. And after my first attempt, I must say it was rather delicious (if I don't say so myself!). I think I'll be doing it again!

So I present to you a Primavera Inspired Quinoa Pasta (just in time for spring!)


Recipe:
-Cook the quinoa pasta being careful to heed the wise words of my friend Bolivia and DO NOT TO OVER COOK IT! =)
it will naturally be on the al dente side, which is a good thing since you'll be tossing it with the sauce later... and save some of the quinoa water. Both water and pasta will be a little on the yellow side, so don't be alarmed
-On a baking sheet roast some veggies of your choice drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper (this time, the assorted roasting of veggies idea for the primavera came via Giada. I used broccoli and green beans.)
-Dice chicken and season with garlic salt, pepper, thyme, basil and chopped garlic.
-Brown in butter and garlic and then add white wine and simmer. Remove chicken
-Reduce the sauce that remains. Add some pasta-water, chopped onions, and more butter and garlic as desired.
-After a few minutes add the pasta to the reduction and chicken too and toss. Turn off heat.
-The add fresh spinach, tomatoes and the roasted veggies. Toss so it is all mixed. The heat of the pasta will soften but not cook the spinach leaving it a wonderfully salad like!
-While tossing, add fresh parsley, thyme and salt to taste.
-Serve with parmesan cheese (I went for the large flakes from Trader Joe's) and chili flakes for a little kick!

A gluten free delight!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home