Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cold night, hot pot

Luckily I had preplanned to have nabe or Japanese hot pot for dinner this week. It was the perfect warming meal for the chilly 40 degree night we're having down this way!


Usually made in a big pot over a burner on the table and eaten family style, I've adopted my own nabe-for-one technique (for which, there is actually a Japanese word for, hitorinabe, which kind of has a pitiful undertone to it...sigh!) There are regional flavors and ingredients, but basically you throw a bunch of vegetables and meats into a boiling soup and then dip in various sauces.

This time, I made a miso based soup and for the meat, made ground turkey balls (an adaptation of I learned from a friend's ex while in Japan). For then dipping sauces, I had ponzu, a citrus soy, and a non-traditional garlic chili sauce. Not the prettiest picture, but warm, hearty and healthy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home